Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 7 of 31: Getting My Garden in Order

Last year I had the most wonderful garden.  My dad lives about a mile away from us and has an acre of property.  It used to have an orchard, but as he has gotten older he has wanted less maintenance so now about half of it is just empty.  In May 2011, I built a 10x10 raised garden in his "orchard".  I had pumpkins, tomatoes, corn, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, peppers and melons.  But this summer I was just too busy with the kids swim meets and I had a hard time getting over to his house, even though I could basically walk there.  That meant I never got around to replanting.  Now it is Fall and I know I don't have enough time to go to his house that often just to check out the garden and going in the orchard when I visit him at night is not fun.  So I built a new raised bed on the side of our house.  It is not as big, but I can always add to it later and I can still plant some of things I don't have to check on as much at my dad's.
 It's about 4 x 8.

 Since it is Fall I had to plant a winter crop.  I just love that October is still planting season in Southern California.   

This was my garden last year. 
I think I will probably turn that one into a pumpkin patch in May.


No comments:

Post a Comment